Thursday, August 9, 2012

using vintage buttons for jewelry storage board

of course moving into a new home makes me want to organize things better. for years i have been trying to find a way to hang up my necklaces. usually they are in a box and for me, out of sight is out of mind. i was thinking of using a cork board and pins but i wanted something a little more exciting so i kept putting it off.

two weeks ago I went to an estate sale. this is one of many estate sales i have been to. my dad turned me on to them. when i went to my first one i felt a bit sad. this person had ‘made’ their home and collected all of these things they loved and for whatever reason it was all being sold. but i guess it’s better to sell it to people who will carry it on and maybe they will love it too rather than being thrown away.

anyhow i started collecting old cameras. curious to see if any of them work but regardless i like the way they look. on one of my trips i bought a bag full of buttons for $5. i know to some this is odd but they were unique looking buttons. i also make belly dance costumes so i thought at some point i will put them to use. i do this with a lot of things like fabric, trinkets and such. two weeks ago at an estate sale i found a pinning board made of fabric for $9. i knew right away what i wanted to do with it. i purchased wooded pushpins from the container store $2.99. at first i was just going to use the pins because the board alone is pretty enough but then i thought of those buttons and the glue gun. my mom introduced me to the glue gun and i haven't put it down since. it saves so much time and there are so many things you can do with it. i glued the buttons to the push pins and this made my new necklace holder. all for $17 and i still have a lot of buttons left over for many other projects. i also love that the entire thing minus the pushpins is made from items that another person cherished.



No comments:

Post a Comment